The guiding principles listed below provide the basis for the Santa Maria-Bonita School District's policies regarding student assessment and evaluation. These guiding principles provide a focus for decision-making around assessment instruments, practices, and the use of results.
1. The essential purpose of assessment is the improvement of student learning.
2. Assessment must provide a comprehensive picture of student achievement.
3. Assessment must measure student growth over time.
4. Assessment must be valid and reliable.
5. Assessment data must be responsibly and efficiently collected and managed.